Everybody makes mistakes, trivial or important and mistakes quotes can prove to a source of inspiration. Mistakes can be a learning experience if you understand their nature and resolve not to make the mistakes again. However, if you keep on making the same mistakes repeatedly, you are only setting yourself up for failure because you have not learnt from them.
Different Kinds of Mistakes
Mistakes are not all of the same kind because you cannot equate breaking an egg wrongly to make a fried egg with the mistake of getting married to the wrong man or for the wrong reasons. Mistakes can be categorized into:
- Stupid mistakes – Stupid mistakes are the bane of life and can range from picking up something too hot, knowing it is too hot to or trying to fit into a too tight dress in the vain hope that you have lost weight. In fact, the majority of mistakes are stupid mistakes because they are basically unthinking mistakes.
- Simple mistakes – When something inevitable happens because of your mistake it becomes a simple mistake. Usually these types of mistakes are easily rectified, though they can be embarrassing. If you go out to do something, but forget your list at home, you can always try and remember or make another trip.
- Habitual mistakes – If you are always late or miscalculate the time needed to do some work or reach somewhere, you really need to take a step back and find out why you are doing this and how you can solve the problem. If you are habitually late, it can lead to issues at work or even relationships and if it is important enough you will take steps to change this behavior.
- Serious mistakes – Buying a house in a wrong neighborhood, making a serious relationship mistake, whether getting married or divorced (or not), taking a business decision that leads to failure are serious mistakes because they impact your life in countless ways.
Mistakes Quotes – Words from the Wise
If you don’t make mistakes you don’t grow and being static in life is a passive experience culminating in taking the path of least resistance and allowing things to happen to you. The learned have many mistakes quotes ascribed to them:
- William Gladstone: No man ever became great or good except through many and great mistakes.
- Cicero: We must not say every mistake is a foolish one.
- James Joyce: A man's mistakes are his portals of discovery.
- Theodore Roosevelt: The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything.
- Henry Ford: Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement.
- Alfred Adler: What
do you first do when you learn to swim? You make mistakes, do you not?
And what happens? You make other mistakes, and when you have made all
the mistakes you possibly can without drowning - and some of them many
times over - what do you find? That you can swim? Well - life is just
the same as learning to swim! Do not be afraid of making mistakes, for
there is no other way of learning how to live!
- Mahatma Gandhi: Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
- Buddha: There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
- George Barnard Shaw: A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Mistakes Quotes – Help Yourself
Every time you make a mistake and use it as a learning tool, you are growing and expanding your self in innumerable ways. Making mistakes are a part of life and growing up – which does not mean that old and experienced people don’t make mistakes – and can be enriching as long as you don’t view mistakes negatively.
Mistakes quotes can bolster your confidence and serve you in times of need. More importantly, you need to have faith and confidence in yourself and your abilities and overcome your problems and move forward.
Return from Mistakes Quotes to Everybody Makes Mistakes