Browsing the many famous and not so famous communication quotes is a great way to learn about the different insights and helpful advice people have gained through first-hand experience and observation. These quotes can also teach you the importance of listening, plus why most people find it difficult to listen when interacting with another.
Listening is a learned skill that depends on the courage of the person choosing to listen instead of speaking, simply because listening permits hearing something you might not want to hear, especially when it comes to ourselves.
Communication quotes about listening include:
- “Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.” – Charlie Kaufman
- “To listen well is as powerful a means of communication and influence as to talk well”. – John Marshall
- “Know how to listen and you will profit even from those who talk badly”. – Plutarch
- There is a big difference between listening and hearing”. – G. K. Chesteron
- “Any problem, big or small, within a family, always seems to start with bad communication. Someone isn't listening.” – Emma Thompson
- “The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.”-- Peter Drucker
Learning the art of communication effectively and assertively but not aggressively is a skill that provides you the freedom to speak in all kinds of situations without worrying about negative consequences such as conflict escalation or being forced to leave the interaction with issues remaining unresolved.
Characteristics of an assertive communicator include:
- Knowing how to genuinely listen to another
- Demonstrating confidence and empathy
- Stating your point in exact, honest terms that are not ambiguous or subject to misinterpretation
- Effectively conveying the message that a “win-win” situation is the preferred outcome of the interaction
- Maintains eye contact in a warm, friendly manner rather than simply staring at the other person while speaking in a flat, hard voice
Here are some communication quotes providing insight into being a more productive communicator:
- “Your words will either give you joy or give you sorrow. But if they were spoken without regret they give you peace.” – Shannon Alder
- “The way we communicate with others and with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our lives”.-- Anthony Robbins
- "The most important thing you wear during a conversation is the expression on your face”. – Anonymous
- “When all other means of communication fail, try words”. – Anonymous
- “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug”. – Mark Twain
- “How often could things be remedied by a word. How often is it left unspoken”. -- Norman Douglas
Communication Quotes about Love and Relationships
Communication among family, friends and significant others is probably the most misunderstood and least effective type of communication at which we attempt to excel. Because strong emotions usually fuel the messages we give to those we care most about, the ability to convey rational thoughts and constructive resolutions is hindered by the irrationality of compelling feelings capable of distorting the reality of a given situation.
Reading quotes about how others have gained insight into their interpersonal communication difficulties can be helpful when you are experiencing the same issues.
- "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." — Eleanor Roosevelt
- "People change and forget to tell each other." — Lillian Hellman
real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the
right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment." – Anonymous
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another “What? You too? I thought I was the only one”. – C.S. Lewis
- “You can't stay mad at somebody who makes you laugh”. - Jay Leno
You can find thousands of other communication quotes concerning all
aspects of human communication on internet sites as well as in e-books
that discuss communication and the ways in which we can improve our
ability to convey effective and productive messages to the people in our
Return from Communication Quotes to Human Communication